So in an attempt to get myself ahead of the game in some capacity, I spent quite a bit of time this week working on my type assignment for History and New Media. I know class is behind a week with the snow cancellations and all (I had forgotten what it was like to be giddy over school being canceled) but I used all my free time from past week to get a leg up on the text assignment and revamp www.his2re.com Hopefully both will be posted by class-time tonight (if not the new webpage then definitely the text assignment.)
The type assignment was going fine until I started working with the pull quote. After literally hours of trying to get one paragraphin my “maintext” div container to format differently then the rest, I finally managed something I’m pleased with. Nonetheless, I think I learned an important lesson about creating a new class, although I’ll definitely need some clarification on how to do that properly tonight.
One of the things I did find especially frustrating was a lack of serious military fonts. Most of the freeware font sites I visited had 10 different versions of stencil fonts, but I’ve always though those were hard to read. For historians doing webpages on colonial or even earlier history there are a plethora of fonts to choose from, but I didn’t find anything that really fit modern military history themes (except a few versions of typewriter, which I think is ugly.) Anyway, I finally decided on a nice serifed font called “Stone” for my text assignment. I liked its clean looking style, and had a chance to play with it’s leading when while creating the assignment in Dreamweaver.